A Brief History
In 1791 Duncan Blair, a Scottish soldier stationed in Fredericton, started a Methodist Society with 12 people. Their first meeting house was constructed on King Street, near Westmorland, adjacent to where the Hertz building now stands. It was quickly outgrown, and a second church was constructed on the current site.
At the time of the union of the Methodist, Congregationalist and most Presbyterian churches in 1925, the building was named in memory of Lemuel Allan Wilmot, the leading layman of the congregation during the Victorian era.
Lemuel Wilmot was a lawyer elected to the New Brunswick Legislature in 1834 as a leader in the fight to dislodge the Family Compact and as a chief architect of responsible government. He became Attorney General, a Justice of the Supreme Court, and finally the first native-born Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick.
In the church Wilmot was a class leader, a trustee, the superintendent of the Sunday School, a choir leader, and a member of a national committee which developed the first Canadian Methodist hymn book.
summer of 2006
were made to the